Officials today finalized the two remaining bouts for the March 19 event, which takes place at the Prudential Center in Newark, N.J.
The additions to the 12-fight lineup include preliminary-card bouts of welterweights Mike Pyle of Xtreme Couture (20-7-1 MMA, 3-2 UFC) vs. Ricardo Almeida (13-4 MMA, 7-4 UFC) and middleweights Nick Catone (8-2 MMA, 2-2 UFC) vs. Dan Miller (14-4 MMA, 5-3 UFC).
The event’s main card airs on pay-per-view; officials currently have announced no plans for a preliminary-card broadcast.
Pyle, a veteran fighter who competed for nearly every major organization before joining the UFC in 2009, looks for his fifth win in six UFC fights. After a submission win over Chris Wilson, the Xtreme Couture fighter suffered a second-round TKO loss to Jake Ellenberger in January 2010. He since has rebounded with a submission win over Jesse Lennox and a decision victory over divisional standout and then-unbeaten John Hathaway.
Almeida, a former middleweight, has won four of his past five fights. All of the bouts were in the UFC, and the lone defeat came via submission to former champ Matt Hughes. However, the Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt and New Jersey resident recently rebounded from the loss with a unanimous-decision win over T.J. Grant at UFC 124. Other recent wins came over the likes of Matt Brown, Kendall Grove and Matt Horwich.
The official UFC 128 card now includes:
- Champ Mauricio “Shogun” Rua vs. Rashad Evans (for light-heavyweight title)
- Urijah Faber vs. Eddie Wineland
- Jim Miller vs. Kamal Shalorus
- Yoshihiro Akiyama vs. Nate Marquardt
- Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic vs. Brendan Schaub
- Luiz Cane vs. Karlos Vemola
- Edson Barboza vs. Anthony Njokuani
- Ricardo Almeida vs. Mike Pyle
- Kurt Pellegrino vs. Gleison Tibau
- Joseph Benavidez vs. Ian Loveland
- Raphael Assuncao vs. Manny Gamburyan
- Nick Catone vs. Dan Miller